Christmas Fun Event – Dewlands Manor – Order of Play
Dewlands has been described as one of the best 9 holes in the country; it plays to a par of 72 and measures 6372 yards over 18 holes. It is maintained to a very high standard; the greens are laid with fescue and velvet bent grasses. It is both rewarding and challenging to players of all standards.
Venue: Dewlands Manor Golf Course
Telephone: 01892 852266
The agenda for the day is jam packed:
0800: First group tee off for Texas Scramble.
1000: Tea/coffee bacon rolls in clubhouse, on rolling basis. Please do not linger!
1020: First group tee off for Last Chance Trophy (off full society handicaps).
After completing the round, return home for showers/change or use clubhouse facilities
1430: Christmas meal in the new Brasserie restaurant, Middle House.
Dress Code: jackets and ties please for the gentleman
1615: AGM in main restaurant, Middle House
1730: Vacate restaurant, adjourn to bar
18.30: Micky Mann falls off a bar stool and Brian Day tells us how nice the Kray twins were back in the day l!!!
The important weather forecast looks OK for a change - dry but cold! Feel free to wear your best Christmas golf attire – you may win a prize judged by vice-Captain Kelvin.
Order of Play
Please be at the tee box at least 5 mins before your schedule tee-off time and ready to go –it is extremely important that we get around the course as quickly as possible as we are sitting down to lunch at 2.30 – so please keep up a good pace and stay in touch with the group in front of you. Can the Captains ensure your team “gets a wiggle on” as my dad used to say!
|Tee Times||Team Captain||HCP||Team Member||HCP||Team Member||HCP||Player||HCP||Texas Team HCP Total||5% or 10%#|
|8.00 & 10.20+||Jerry W||14||Frank G||25||Paul H||20||59||3.0|
|8.10 & 10.30+||Micky M||15||Andy B||26||Dereck C||19||60||3.0|
|8.20 & 10.40+||Andy W||16||David H||22||Andy T||21||59||3.0|
|8.30 & 10.50+||Pat L||15||Peter C||24||Alan Bon||20||59||3.0|
|8.40 & 11.00+||Kevin H||11||John C||27||Fred A||21||59||3.0|
|8.50 & 11.10+||Alan Big||8||James G||28||Kelvin P||23||59||3.0|
|9.00 & 11.20+||Sandi H||18||Brian D||23||Keith W||18||59||3.0|
|9.10 & 11.30+||Mark H||15||Ken W||24||Tom B||21||Greg W||21||81||2.0|
+ NB: Indicative for back 9 as we should aim to get away earlier if we can – ideally every 7 to 8 mins
# Hcps for Texas Scramble are 10% of total handicaps for three-balls and 5% for four-balls – divided by 2 as 9 holes
NB: All three-balls will start off level par with the four-ball starting play off +1– see above table – the winner will be the best nett score – Level par winning last year but expect it to be under par this year!
Texas Scramble(Front 9) – I thought I should be clear on the rules this year as follows: -
Each team to consist of three players (or four players depending on the number who enter the event).
- All players tee off on all holes. A minimum of 2 tee shots per player must be used (maximum of 4 tee shots for teams of three)
- Nominated Team Captain then selects the drive to be used and marks the position with a tee peg (not nearer the hole). The other players then retrieve their balls.
- All players then play within 300mm (12 inches) of the tee peg, not nearer the hole, in any order. A ball may be placed on the fairway, but must be dropped from any other area, including hazards.
- The above method of play is followed until the green is reached.
- On the green the same method applies. The ball chosen is marked and all players putt from that exact same spot in any order.
- Each player marks the ball after putting. Play continues from each position until the ball is holed.
- If a player putts and misses and then inadvertently knocks the ball into the hole, that score counts.
- The gross score for each hole should be marked on the score card including a note of the player whose tee shot was used, e.g. A, B, C or D.
- The score card to be signed by two members of the team.
Please note 2 drives per person must be used for both the three and four-balls. For the four-balls the early advantage of having four shots to choose from is offset in the latter part of the round as players feel a bit more pressure to get a personal tee shot recorded on the card.
Last Chance Trophy (Back 9) – An individual stableford competition off full society handicaps. Current trophy holder is Mr Alan Bond. Please putt out no “gimmies” for this event ladies and gentlemen as a Trophy is at stake. In an event of a tie -count back will be the stableford score over the last three holes initially, if this does not identify a winner the stableford on the final hole hopefully will do the trick.
NB: Normal winter rules apply on the fairway i.e. mark, clean and replace your ball within 3 inches. In addition, for any balls that plug in the rough they can be rolled out of the plug without penalty and without cleaning to become playable. Use common sense basically – in the case of Bish he might have to ask someone for common sense advice!!
As it is Christmas, we are shaking up the individual hole challenges. We will be playing for three on the back nine as follows: -
Nearest the Pin in two: 4th Hole (par 4)
Nearest the Pin in one: 6thHole (par 3)
Nearest the Pin in three: 9thHole (par 5)
Please note we will try to ensure no player wins more than one of the above – which is easier said than done!