Sixteen members attended the March fixture at Sweetwoods on 20th March to compete for the first silverware of the year – The Mad March Jugs. Our thanks go to Peter Cudmore who had kindly brought along 16 colanders’ from his kitchen so each player could view the solar eclipse safely. Unfortunately, it was overcast so they were not needed! The turnout for the golf was again excellent, with some new member’s making their debut alongside some familiar faces who have hopefully returned for the full season of competition.
The Mad March Jugs is a pairs competition with a yellow “double your points” ball being shared by each pair. Some were not so good at sharing it as you would have needed a set of scuba gear to recover it for your turn!
Three competitions were competed for on the day as follows:-
The winners were:
Mad March Jugs
- Winners – John Collingwood and Pat Layen (110 points)
- Runner Up – Brian Cheesmur and Ken Wapling (99 points)
- Third Place – Dave Stocker and Peter Cudmore (93 points)
- John Collingwood – splitting the third fairway in half.
Nearest The Pin
- Alan Bond put a great shot within a few feet of the pin edging out Captain Fred Ablitt by only a few inches.
The next meeting is booked for 17th April 2015 at Hever Castle – Malcolm Staplehurst will be celebrating his birthday on that day so please make every effort to come along and support the event. Please put the date in your diary and watch out for further details being sent through nearer the time.