Captains Day at Cooden
Captain James (centre above) is really looking forward to seeing you at Cooden this Friday with the society turning out in force despite the Covid 19 restrictions – we even have a reserve list!! Needless to say James had 38 different ideas on how he might add his personal touch to this event to make it both a fun and competitive day for all – unfortunately, 34 of those ideas are not possible due to the Covid restrictions and one involving a feather a stick and boiled egg seemed to give Kelvin an unfair advantage, so this was kicked in to the long grass (a bit like where his ball tends to go)!!
Our venue is Cooden Beach Golf Club where the course measures a good 6,504 yards at its furthest, it offers a more sedate 6,185 yards from the yellow tee boxes, with five par three holes and a matching five par fives. Natural drainage is provided by internal and external dykes that border many of the holes, but these also act as a magnet to the errant shot that flirts with the changing coastal breezes which remain the true hazard.
Cooden Beach Golf Club
Bexhill On Sea
T: 01424 842040
Time: Please stagger your arrival to be circa 45 mins before your tee time (10.45 to 11.30)
Format: Tea/coffee + bacon rolls on a rolling basis on arrival. 18 holes of golf followed by a beer or two at the nineteenth and a short presentation to finish off the day.
1. Bunkers will be in play but the ball can be placed in the sand to get a decent lie with raking currently prohibited
- For trophy events players are normally asked to putt out, however in line with current guidance gimmies within 18 inches or so (putter grip) should be given.
- One team card will be provided and should be completed for all players in the team – just this card needs to be sent to the Hon Handicap Sec (ideally via a photo sent from a mobile to the number on the score card). Please ensure all players have agreed before sending.
Freddie Jones Foundation Cup
An 18-hole stableford competition off full society handicaps with this prestigious trophy up for grabs and will be presented by the Club Captain on the day to the winner. Members only.
Captain’s Choice Team Competition
The best 2 stableford scores from the teams of 3 count for this competition.
27 sanitised balls will be placed in a bowl on the first tee. Golfers to help themselves to one ball avoiding contact with any other balls or the bowl please– the Captain intends for this ball to be used until lost or presented back to him at the bar on nineteenth where a beverage might be exchanged for the sight of that specific ball (to be retained by the golfer of course)!! A bright sparkling ball, suggesting lack of use, might be treated with some scepticism by the Captain!
Order of play
|Tee-time||Player 1||Player 2||Player 3||Player 4|
|11.30||Des C (28)||Tom B (25)||Pat L (18)||Micky M (14)|
|11.36||Captain James (26)||Ben G (28 guest)||Kelvin P (22)|
|11.42||Andrew B (14)||Ken W (22)||Greg W (21 guest)|
|11.48||David Head (15 guest)||Chris B (19)||Bernie B (14 guest)|
|11.54||Mark H (17)||Peter C (25)||Hon Sec David (24)|
|12.00||Andy T (27)||Steve S (20)||Alan Big (8)|
|12.06||Jerry W (15)||John C (26)||Andy W (18)|
|12.12||Tony C (20)||Kevin H (12)||Kevin L (15)|
|12.18||Sandi H (20)||Rob M (28)||Graham M (26)|
Tee times start at 11.30 prompt – please be at the tee and ready to go 5 mins before your tee off time. In addition, please do your very best to keep up with the team in front and not aim to be just ahead of the group behind – Please do avoid slow play at all times – we should aim to complete our rounds comfortably within 4 hours.
We look forward to seeing you on Friday for a fantastic day’s golf. The weather forecast for Friday is currently very good with a light breeze, dry but cloudy.
IMPORTANT PLEASE REMEMBER THE FOLLOWING IN ORDER THAT WE REMAIN COVID COMPLIANT AND SAFE
- Arrive at the club in your golf gear, ready to tee off.
- Keep a minimum distance of two metres, from your playing partners with no physical contact at any time (Kelvin please note)
- We also recommend that members carry their own personal bottles of disinfectant with them in order to keep their hands disinfected whilst playing golf
- We recommend that members do not use ball washers (ohh err!) and refrain from touching stray tees and golf balls other than their own.
- No golfers are to touch, remove or attend flag pins whilst playing golf.
- Gimmies will be allowed within 18 inches (putter grip length or so) – common sense applies.
- Bunkers are in play – but the ball can be placed in the bunker to achieve a reasonable lie as the raking of bunkers are prohibited.